Grammie

Grammie
The Lady who got me started

Saturday, June 30, 2007

It's been awhile

Okay so my personal goal of writing at least once a week has failed. Too much going on. I have been missing my family a bunch lately and have decided that because of that today I am going to make my Grammies Wheat Germ Brownies...Don't let the wheat germ fool you these are gooey and full of molasses. And yet better for you than if they were made with flour. I grew up with these and the smell of them while they bake and cool brings me right back to sitting on Grammies kitchen floor with the molasses spoon in my hand savoring each lick. Molasses what a New England tradition... So if you feel the desire here is the recipe:
Wheat Germ Brownies
1/4 C melted butter or Marg.
3/4 C Sugar
1/4 C molasses
2 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. nutmeg( I use freshly grated)
1 C raisins
1 C wheat germ
Appx 1 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C powdered milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all of these together and bake in a 8 X 8 buttered and wax paper lined pan(butter paper) at 350 degrees for 30ish minutes. The brownies will pull away from the sides of the pan when done. Remove from oven and let cool for about a half hour then turn upside down and peel off wax paper. These tend to stick to the paper so you haven't done anything wrong if they don't stay together. Enjoy. From my family to yours.

No comments: